• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Wednesday, September 29, 2004

    Connectedness...or, I suck at Chess.

    I spent my day with Ruth's two boys...Ruth happens to be Beniy's sister, our choir director and my friend....

    I spent my day making pirate ships out of tape, glue, sticks, and old cassette jackets and getting beat by an eight-year-old in two games of chess (and I didn't let him win, either). Her boys are spunky, interesting, full of music, creativity, laughter, and life.

    Although I see them at church and other various events, it was so nice to get to know them more intimately. I love experiencing people in their day-to-day lives.

    Unfortunately, our society is so individualistic and separate that such an occasion is rare.

    Maybe it is just that I am at home alone with Basil most days, but I really crave connectedness and more authentic encounters with others throughout the day. You can only get so far in a relationship with the check out worker at Trader Joe's or the old men in the park.

    Maybe it is me. Maybe I should more actively seek...maybe I need to make it happen. Probably.

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Beniy said...

    Yea! Chess. And, Yea! Sara for babysitting my nephews.
    That's neat. Thanks for blogging about it.
    PS He's beaten my Dad a number of times, too.

    3:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    basil (no, not him) writes...
    Several SAHM's I know mention the craving for companionship, especially adult conversation.

    5:20 PM  
    Blogger Bluecanopy said...

    They are really cool kids....we had a lot of fun.

    I'm hoping that the new batch of babies and the subsequent new batch of moms at St. Barnabas will bring some companionship...I know there have to be others out there feeling the same way.

    4:44 PM  
    Blogger Sean Reagan said...

    Trader Joe's cashiers and old men at the park.

    Boy Aaron, I'd look out if I were you. That looks like some pretty stiff competition for you. :D

    1:29 AM  
    Blogger Bluecanopy said...

    LOL :) I almost wrote about the old men at the pool...and yes, they wear speedos. Look out Aaron ;)

    4:01 PM  
    Blogger Beniy said...

    OW! These images are PAINful. Stop it now. : )

    4:04 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies