• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Wednesday, September 15, 2004

    Windows and Doors Slowly Shut with a Creak

    Autumn has just begun to press its cool evening fingers against our windows and doors...which have been, until the past few nights, pinned open for four months of what seemed like endless summer.

    With every season, I find myself thinking the same thoughts and feeling the same sentiments. Sadness in leaving behind warm, late nights on the front portch with good friends...in knowing there will be no more trips to the pool, and less popsicles and watermelon. Yet quiet excitement that dew is beginning to form on the grass in the mornings, and a slight fog hangs in the air until the sun is able to push it away...and anticipation for sweaters, birthdays, and warm soup (I could do without the shoes and socks, however).

    I have noticed a recent parallel shift in my own season. I have felt my doors toward others creaking closed more than once, and a strange, distant coolness in my relationships. I know that life is like this, though, full of ups and downs...I only hope that I can keep out this chill and toss a warm throw blanket over my heart.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger E Rica said...

    Winter and Autumn rock because the weather is chilly. I prefer it to the hot weather we've been having. I always look forward to when the cold weather sets in.

    3:34 PM  
    Blogger Alana said...

    Fall is my favorite, as well. There is not quite enough of it to suit me, here in Kentucky, though.

    4:11 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    basil writes:

    I must agree that autumn is by far my favorite season. Visually, only spring comes close to competing. Yet new blooms are no match for falling leaves in my mind. And the sweaters, the anticipation of the solstice holidays, hot, spiced drinks, pumpkin pies. And the smell of fall... Yes! I am so happy it's almost here!

    I also like winter and spring but not summer so much. However, the summer in Connecticut this year was very mild. (I'm not sure if it's always like that.) It was so mild that I longed for autumn even more. I mused mored than once that the evenings were so cool that I should have been smelling fallen leaves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mmmm.

    10:16 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies