• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Friday, September 23, 2005

    Stealing Time

    I feel like one of my main goals throughout my days is to steal as much time between diaper changes, nursings, picture book reading, and mr. potatohead sessions in which to "get things done."

    You know, real grown-up things like washing the dishes, making dinner, bills, laundry, tidying up, checking email...blah blah blah.

    Some days I get down-right frustrated about the piles that go untouched. The main pressure lies in the fact that I often tend to see those things as more important than all that the two little people demanding my attention entail.

    It is a real task of mothering to find a balance between the two; to walk the tightrope of meeting the pressing needs of my children and my needs for order and completing other housekeeping duties. This is one bridge I didn't forsee crossing.

    I think the real lesson for me lies in something Aaron's mom told me when Basil was born....they won't be little forever. Man, do I need to plaster this on my walls...to help me savor these gifts I have been given. So sad I need reminding.

    I need to slow down and leave time alone or it will end up stealing far more significant things from me.

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Sean Reagan said...

    Just thought I'd let you know that if you post junk like that here anymore, I'll hunt you down and bludgeon you with a can of spam.

    I know I love seeing Basil and Juliana at church. Basil is so full of laughter and interest in everything around him, while Juliana enjoys sitting in her daddy or mommy's arms quietly staring off into space with her mouth agape. And I always notice how happy you and Aaron are, especially when your children are in your arms. You both seem to really appreciate those treasures which God has given you.

    I can only imagine how much different a parent's perspective is, who sees these children everyday. For someone like myself, seeing them is a treat and it brightens my day to tickle them or squeeze their hand or lift them up in the air and see them smile.

    You and Munkee boy see them at their funniest, their saddest, their smelliest; you get to experience their pain and their joy.

    Others, like myself, just see the result of your perseverance in being the best parents you can be in the eyes of God, and we get to benefit from your hard work, toiling, and teaching by seeing your diligence manifest itself through your children's behavior and attitudes and how they live their lives around their fellow family at St. Barnabas.

    So no, they won't be little forever. They will grow up, and the time you spend influencing and bettering their lives now will come back many times over, and all the times you wished you had more time to do the things that need to be done won't matter in comparison, because God will find time for you to take care of your chores when you aren't busy with your constant caring for little B n' J.

    And I'm sure Aaron needs a little love and care from time to time too. ;)

    1:12 AM  
    Blogger Sean Reagan said...

    Also, something I just thought of, you should have one more child and give him or her a name that starts with a "P", so you can say that your kids are: PB n' J.

    Mmmm, sandwich...

    1:15 AM  
    Blogger Bluecanopy said...

    Sean...honestly I wasn't fishing for such thoughtful and encouraging words...thank you :) It is true that daily doses of Butter & Jelly bring new aspects to the light, they are generally small bundles of delight...all things you will someday experience, most likely, eh? Thanks for the nice comment, I think I will post more *junk* like that just to get kind words from sean ;)

    9:54 AM  
    Blogger Sean Reagan said...

    No, no junk! Your blog is actually one of my favorites to read/look at [pictures], so I hope you find time to keep blogging on a regular basis.

    And yeah, I can't wait to be able to make my own sandwich someday.

    12:21 AM  
    Blogger Mimi said...

    Giggle - PB&J.

    Business with babies and toddlers grows into business with pre-teens and teenagers, and then I'm sure college and grandchildren.

    Each day is a gift as we are in it!

    The photos are great, good to see you posting again!

    3:27 PM  
    Blogger Katie Harris said...

    Hey sister, I feel the strain with one. can't even imagine what it would be like with two! Don't feel bad about needing the reminder. I do the same thing. It's hard, bottom line. Life is hectic and you do the best you can, which for you I know is an AMAZING job. Those pictures are adorable! I need to come visit once Eliot is done being a sick little monkey.

    1:47 PM  
    Blogger Susan Sophia said...

    Hi Sara!
    What a wonderful picture of the two...I can't believe how big Juliana is!
    My oldest, Kelsey Anna, will be NINE! on November 26th! I cannot believe it! I'm astounded at how far she has come. Tonight we had cuddle time before bed and it's amazing the depth she has created in her mind and soul.
    Charissa is 6, Nicholas ALMOST FIVE and Joseph, my BABY is THREE! OH MY GOODNESS...where has the time gone??
    There is no more baby..EVER again and all of a sudden I'm extremely saddened by this.
    Yes, enjoy them now...but at the same time there are still dishes and laundry. There is still dust and dirt. And it's our job to train them up into independent responsible human beings. One of the best books I ever read was VERY recently a book I found by perusing your links on your blog. I followed Orthodox Family and found a book by Rosemund called "Six Points to Raising Healthy, Happy Children"(it might be Kids-can't remember). It really puts things into perspective..for me in some areas anyway..and I highly recommend it if you haven't already read it.
    Thank you for sharing.
    We hope to some day see you and your wonderful family again.
    In Christ, SusanSophia

    9:16 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies