• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Thursday, October 13, 2005

    That Old House

    I can remember the first time I saw it so clearly. I had big ideas for the low, strong branches of the avocado tree in the front yard. I liked the sounds my shoes made as I walked across the hardwood floors.

    I can remember the Beatrix Potter wallpaper in my room...excitedly changing it to magenta flowers...moving rooms, painting the white walls butter yellow, and later a rich green.

    How many late nights did I lay in bed, hastily reading before an exam? How many times did I hop up the tall step to the back door, or sit on the old tiled kitchen counter talking with my mom?

    Now the rooms are all emptied, the carefully placed picture frames have left their happy walls. In time the pencil marks on the pantry wall which noted how quickly we'd grown will be painted over and the faint scents of familiarity will fade.

    But today, as I listened to the wood creak beneath my feet and the wind rustle through the giant cottonwoods in the yard, for what may have been the last time, I felt thankful. Thankful for life, and memories, and love.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

    This is a very sweet reflection. It brings me to my own childhood dwelling places and all of the memories that were made there.
    Moving is tough (so is watching your parents or grandparents move after living in the house you "grew up" in), but there is also a peace b/c you know that it's your family that makes it home, and you've still got them.

    12:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    so glad to know that it is the happy thoughts that you recall.....
    ......keep them always.

    8:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Every momma's dream is to have their children grow and understand the love, tradition and memories that come with being a family. Thank you for the gift of this story. I also treasure the talks on the kitchen tile with you...and our many special times .... and I look forward to many memories to come. You are so very loving, and loved!

    1:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies