• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Sunday, November 20, 2005

    Craft (one of those words that gets weird when you say it over and over)

    I guess I would consider myself a "crafter". If that means you wear awful giant wooden tole painted holiday lapel pins or make frilly lace photo albums, maybe not. But if it means you enjoy making things by hand, then yes that's me.

    I love the authenticity of it...unique but useful things are my favorite. I tend to have a minimalist's eye when making things though and sometimes worry that things turn out boring. Maybe there's some shaker in me, who knows.

    I was browsing around while Aaron was at his "Guys' Study" (Sunday night reading/beering/piping/praying group) and found this random blog. Anyway, I like the quilt she made...the close uneven lines and the layered applique are nice.


    It reminds me of Carol's dots. Anyway, boring post to share that I want to add more pizzaz to my creations. Maybe less can be more with slight embellishments. Good inspiration just in time for Christmas gifts.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Mimi said...

    I scrapbook, but I don't sew. I have such admiration for those who do, though! Cute, cute, cute!

    10:22 AM  
    Blogger Beniy said...

    Not a boring post. While craft may not always be high falutin' "ART", at least it's something real that lives in your home and is a part of real life. It fits its context. I think "art" is often way too decontextualized and removed from reality.

    Plus, I really like that bean bag you made! : ) Keep it simple. Simple can be beautiful.

    4:04 PM  
    Blogger Bluecanopy said...

    I agree with the sanity part. We are creative beings afterall, I think the draw is just an outpouring of that innate drive, plus for me it is sometimes a yearning for a simpler, more authentic life.

    I agree with you too, Beniy about art being decontextualized...I appreciate how beauty and skilled handiwork in utilitarian objects can influence you in everyday life. It does live, like you said.

    11:38 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies