• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Monday, January 30, 2006

    Humbling

    Funny that I have read a few recent blog posts dealing with judgement. Thank you, Peter, for this quote:

    Dont criticize or judge other people—regard everyone else as an angel, justify their mistakes and weaknesses, and condemn only yourself as the worst sinner. This is step one in any kind of spiritual life. Fr. Seraphim Rose

    I think parenting has been the most humbling thing I have yet experienced in life. Besides the daily struggles against passions and the various tasks required to serve cute but demanding little people, there is a huge aspect of judgement that I have encountered.

    I have felt the tendencies in myself, usually looking at older kids thinking "why don't the parents DO something...get that under control!" As Basil gets older and I realize just how little control I have over his will and choices...although I can guide and help shape his moral compass, he is ultimately making the decisions. As my priest aptly reminded me once, our children are sinners too, and someday Basil will need to make his confession before God and receive absolution just as I do (Want to know more about Confession in Orthodoxy?)

    Though it may sound obvious, it's a hard lesson. I am slowly learning how important it is to resist placing judgement on others...even when it seems they are judging me and to pray for the peace and unity of us all.

    Kyrie Eleison.

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Mimi said...

    Parenting = humbling, always.

    I hear you on the judgemental tendancies.

    2:49 PM  
    Blogger annie said...

    hmmm. makes me think of the prayer of St. Ephraem.
    Judging is something I encounter in myself seemingly daily. Sometimes I don't even realize it.
    "Lord, grant me to see my own faults and not to judge my brothers and sisters." (i.e. children, husband, other moms, the guy in the car next to me...)

    6:12 PM  
    Blogger Mamasings said...

    No kidding! The older they get, the more I realize they are not a "little me." I want to think I can control them, but that just doesn't work! There never seems to be a point where I can say, now I've got it down. I'm so glad we have confession, for my sake and my kids! At least they have their confessor to talk to when they don't feel they can talk to me.

    12:00 AM  
    Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

    Humbling indeed.... Parenthood certainly is unto our salvation!

    10:34 AM  
    Blogger RW said...

    I found you through simply victoria... my daughter is going to be eleven soon. She has hit puberty hard and fast and I am lost.

    I too, am realizing that she is her own person. What motivates me does not motivate her.

    I am so thankful for confession.

    I am also thankful for Forgiveness Sunday which is coming up soon. I sin against my family - what seems like constantly.

    I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    9:02 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies