• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    Thursday, January 04, 2007

    Happy 2007

    I've always liked January. Enough chill in the air to wear a sweater all day, crisp blue skies, an unblemished calendar on the kitchen wall...It's just nice, that's all. Fresh and nice.

    So happy January....in which we celebrate the lives of both my children's patrons (Sts. Basil the Great and Juliana of Lazarevo), the month of the garnet, named after the Roman god of the doorway as it is the door of the year, the month when gold was first discovered by settlers in California, and most notably, National Soup Month in the U.S. (thank you wikipedia).

    Our celebration of the New Year was spent at home watching a crass but admittedly funny Will Farrell movie, pizza and Chilean cabernet while the kids slept. I was honestly happy to stay home. I am a borderline intro/extrovert who leans heavily on the introverted side especially come midnight. I never completely enjoy New Year's Eve get-togethers...driving home so late amongst tipsy and exhausted operators of heavy machinery that happen to be whizzing by, wishing I could just be cuddled up in my sheets. Yep, I am a party pooper.

    I do have fun childhood memories of eating fun finger foods, watching a movie and then going outside to bang pots and pans at midnight with my sister and parents. One year before Aaron and I were married, we caught the turn of the clock while sitting in a theatre watching that bad remake of Mr. Magoo. But to top them all, my dad actually had to get me out of bed for the big Y2K. I may have just said "happy new year" and gone back to bed, I can't even remember. I just wasn't interested. My kids will wonder why I didn't do anything exciting at the turn of the century just like I wondered why people couldn't recall what they were doing when Kennedy was shot. I'll probably regret it some day.

    Well, go make some soup, look up at the sky and have a blessed 2007!

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Mimi said...

    January is nice, my favorite month is February though (and my oldest squeaked a February birthday for me).

    Enjoy the soup and the sweater, and Happy Patron Saints Day to your little ones - are you thinking of Nina or Sava for the wee one?

    10:13 AM  
    Blogger Susan Sophia said...

    How about Seraphim?

    Anyway...Happy New Year!

    I loved this post!

    10:47 AM  
    Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

    Indeed, great post!

    My sister is having a boy too (due in May).

    Enjoy the sweaters :)

    (and I too enjoy a silly Will Ferrell movie now and then... Anchorman in particular *blush* Lord have mercy! Haha)

    1:57 PM  
    Blogger Mimi said...

    My sister is having a boy too (due in May).

    Really? I did not know that. Wonderful news.

    4:38 PM  
    Blogger Mimi said...

    Gregory, Xenia?

    4:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    .. oh is THAT why my pots and pans have dents in them ...??!! i still even have the same wooden spoons, which we would use sometimes to help muffle the sound a little for the neighbors ... great memories, indeed :) our new year's hikes are also a favorite memory for me ... i am very glad that the tradition lives on. happy new year to all!

    7:57 PM  
    Blogger Kassianni said...

    oh goody. I love soup.
    we have a million birthdays in January. (ok, so I exaggerate a little...)
    my husband and two of my kids are january/winter babies.
    my youngest and I are spring babies. april and may, respectively.
    a blessed theophany!

    1:34 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    babies