Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Friday, November 25, 2005
Aaron went over to Beniy's to hang for a bit...I decided it was too late to do anything productive but had a bit of coffee with my apple pie (not a big pkin pie fan) at the in-laws. So what do I do? Peruse ye olde web, and post inane blogs.
Anyway, I saw this on another blog and thought it looked fun. Just your run-of-the-mill vain posting but join in and post your own if you'd like!
W O U L D Y O U R A T H E R . . .
1) Pierce your nose or tongue: nose
2) Be serious or be funny: funny
3) Drink whole or skim milk: 2% or soy
A R E Y O U . . .
4) Simple or complicated: simple
5) Flowers or angels: flowers
6) Grey or gray: grey
7) Color or black-and-white photos: b & w
9) M&Ms or Skittles: M & M's
10) Rap or rock: rock
11) Staying up late or waking up early: late
12) TV or radio: radio
13) Apples or oranges: apples
A N S W E R T R U T H F U L L Y . . .
14) Do you have a crush: yes
15) Who is it: Aaron
D O Y O U P R E F E R . .
16) Being hot or cold: cold
17) Tall or short people: huh?
18) Sun or moon: moon
19) Emeralds or rubies: emeralds
20) Left or right: right
21) Having ten acquaintances or one best friend?: one best friend
22) Sun or rain: rain
23) Vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream: any ice cream
M I S C E L L A N E O U S . . .
24) What are your biggest fears in the world: death of my children or husband
25) Kids or no kids: kids
26) Cat or dog: dog (allergic to cats)
27) Half empty or half full: half full
28) Mustard or ketchup: ketchup
29) Hardcover books or soft cover books: hardcover
30) Newspaper or magazine? magazine
31) Sandals or sneakers:sandals
32) Wonder or amazement: wonder
33) Red car or white car: blue car
34) Happy and poor or sad and rich: happy and poor
35) Singing or dancing: singing
A B O U T Y O U . . .
36) What time is it: too late but quiet
37) Number of siblings: 1
40) Eye color: blue
41) Hair color: brown
42) Piercing(s): ears
W H A T D O Y O U W A N T . . .
44) How many kids do you want: we’re “playing it by ear”
W H I C H I S B E T T E R . . .
45) Two doors or four (on a car): 4
46) Coffee or ice cream: both at once
47) Bridges or tunnels: bridges
F A V O R I T E S . . .
48) Color of socks: colorful stripes
49) Food: most
50) Non-alcoholic drink: water, really
51) Alcoholic drink: hard cider, porters, frangelico hot cocoa
I A M . . .
52) Wearing: striped pajama pants and a college T-shirt
53) Listening to: the baby monitor and computer hum
C U R R E N T S. . .
54) Hairstyle: long and straight, usually pulled up
55) Annoyance: the DSL cord I always seem to trip over
56) Smell: fresh laundry
57) Show: don't watch t.v.
58) Book: Rituals of Birth from Prehistory to Present
59) Refreshment: nothing at the moment
60) Thought: this is taking forever, I shouldn’t have done it
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
There are two new links on the sidebar. The first is Graceful Mothering, on Alana's recommendation...similar to Gentle Christian Mother but more Orthodox/RC friendly. Plus, a great message board. Thanks Alana :)
The second is Pumpkin Little...Erica's blog (not the famed E Rica the redhead). She and her family moved north a few years ago and I was delighted to stumble upon her website last night!
A very thankful Thanksgiving to all!
This was an experiment...but I like it. It was meant to be a Christmas gift but alas, I didn't hide it well enough and the little monkey found it!
The body is brown cordouroy that was a pair of pants in its past life and the plaid was curtains bought at a thrift store a while back.
The plaid tummy is a bit big but he looks happy nonetheless.
Sunday, November 20, 2005
I guess I would consider myself a "crafter". If that means you wear awful giant wooden tole painted holiday lapel pins or make frilly lace photo albums, maybe not. But if it means you enjoy making things by hand, then yes that's me.
I love the authenticity of it...unique but useful things are my favorite. I tend to have a minimalist's eye when making things though and sometimes worry that things turn out boring. Maybe there's some shaker in me, who knows.
I was browsing around while Aaron was at his "Guys' Study" (Sunday night reading/beering/piping/praying group) and found this random blog. Anyway, I like the quilt she made...the close uneven lines and the layered applique are nice.
It reminds me of Carol's dots. Anyway, boring post to share that I want to add more pizzaz to my creations. Maybe less can be more with slight embellishments. Good inspiration just in time for Christmas gifts.
Friday, November 18, 2005
Thursday, November 10, 2005
I have added a new link on my sidebar...
Gentle Christian Mothers
This has been a breath of fresh air for me in the midst of adjusting to mothering a toddler. Parenting is truly a journey and challenge. Lord have mercy.
Just wanted to share ;)
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
We faithful ought to look upon all the faithful as one single being. We should consider that Christ is in each one. We should therefore be ready to give our life willingly for the sake of our love for Him. We have no right at all to say, or even to think, that a person is evil. As I have said, we should consider all of them good, and even if you see someone swept away by the passions, do not hate your brother, [hate instead] the passions which torment him.
St. Symeon the New Theologian, The Practical and Theological Chapters
Friday, November 04, 2005
new thoughts don't come,
just fingers scratching head
and mouth sucking soy-milked coffee
while sleeping babies breathe out silence
much needed to rethink
old thoughts and drift
with feet perched and bare
on the couch of tranquitity.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
I took a birthday trip to St. Vincent de Paul today and guess what I found...a dress VERY similar to the one I was drooling over a couple posts back, with the addition of the sweet peter pan collar and fabric bow things down the front although this one doesn't have the nice long skirt and is size 12 months, oh well! Note the 1.99 tag...and blue tags were 50% off! This has happened more than once before...What a cool gift :)
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
My friend and I are compliling a cookbook inspired by one I have that organizes meals by weeks and provides a list of ingredients needed at the beginning of each week. So we snagged the general idea, BUT we would like to tailor the recipes for Orthodox living. That is, Wednesdays and Fridays will include lenten recipes. The recipes will be family friendly as well as healthy; whole grains, fresh produce, minimal processed ingredients, etc. We really want to do it just to try it out ourselves, but we may print some copies to sell at our church bookstore if it turns out nicely.
Anywho, I am excited to work on the project and have been compiling tried and true meals and desserts. I know there are many of you out there who just have to know heaps of great recipes...if you would be willing to share them, I'd love it!
In addition to recipes, any general suggestions would be helpful. For example, what you like about certain cookbooks, what has annoyed you, what is helpful, etc.
Just post a comment or email me with anything you'd like to share. Thanks for the help!